WASHINGTON—Thirteen U.S. hospitals have been identified by the Leapfrog Group as being the best and most cost-effective in the nation for four major medical procedures.
The hospitals were deemed "highest value" by the Washington-based Leapfrog Group for coronary artery bypass graft, percutaneous coronary interventions, myocardial infarction treatment and pneumonia care.
The efficiency rating was based on each hospital's severity-adjusted average length of stay for each procedure, inflated by its readmission rate. Quality scores were based on meeting appropriate processes of care measures, hospital volume for the particular procedures and risk-adjusted mortality rates.
The hospitals that made Leapfrog's list are:
- Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, Calif.
- Mercy Medical Center Redding in Redding, Calif.
- St. Mary’s Hospital & Medical Center in Grand Junction, Colo.
- St. John's Hospital in Springfield, Ill.
- St. Luke's Hospital in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Minn.
- Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, Minn.
- Regions Hospital in St. Paul, Minn.
- North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, Miss.
- St. Luke's Hospital in Maumee, Ohio
- Providence St. Vincent Medical Center in Portland, Ore.
- Mercy General Health Partners (Sherman Campus) in Muskegon, Mich.
- St. Clare's Hospital of Weston Inc. in Weston, Wis.